Current Vintage: 2023

Yelland & Papps Barossa Valley Shiraz 2023

THE WINE

The YP Shiraz equivalently always bats above its weight in value, predominantly classified parcels that do not make the higher-end Shiraz ranges, luckily for some fall into the blend.A blend of our own and our grower’s vineyards this wine is predominantly made up of multiple portions of whole cluster, whole berry ferments and destemmed parcels. Spending less than a year on elevage this is a fresh vibrant fruit-forward wine with texture and finesse.

 

THE VINTAGE

Barossa’s 2023 vintage was 3-4 weeks later than the ‘new normal’ of the past 20 years. Similar to, but even later than, 2002. Due to a combination of Negative IOD and La Niña climatic patterns, Barossa’s spring rainfall was one of the wettest on record, with an additional 131%more rain than the long-term average. Barossa experienced 53 rain days in Spring. Overall, the growing season saw average soil moisture and strong budburst. – Wine Barossa Barossa.comAlthough the 2023 vintage was anxious to wait for vintage to start, the cool nights and cooler days and no extreme heatwaves meant the fruit was ripening slowly which is good. With sugar not rising quickly the acids are able to be retained and not drop as quickly maintaining freshness on the vine and allowing things to come into balance. – MichaelPapps

LOCATION

Multiple sites from growers, Marananga, Greenock, Ebenezer and Stone Well.

TERROIR

Multiple sites from growers, Marananga, Greenock, Ebenezer and Stone Well.

AGEING

The grapes are hand-picked, naturally fermented in open fermenters and barrel fermentedBasket pressed and left to Elevage in 62% seasoned French oak puncheons and the remaining 38% in tank for eight months prior to bottling. 20% whole cluster, wild yeast, natural malo, minimal sulphur and vegan friendly.

VARIETALS

95% Shiraz 5% Cinsault

SERVING

16 degrees in tasting glass

TASTING NOTES

With expressive fruit purity, bright blue and red fruits, with fine tannins, and bright acidity. This Shiraz is medium-bodied with delicious chalky tannins from the whole cluster fermentation.13.4 alc Cellar for a further 5-8 years